Scattergood Service Project

Volunteer for a shift or two during the reunion
juliaz
Site Admin

Scattergood Service Project

Postby juliaz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:19 am

We will be completing a service project for Scattergood Friends School to thank them for hosting us (again!) at a much-discounted rate and with a higher level of access and trust than is normally granted to guest groups.

Watch for details here!

AnnStill

Re: Scattergood Service Project

Postby AnnStill » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am

There is a farm at Scattergood, and I have fantasized pulling weeds with my fellow GPM'ers. I have NO idea if this is what they would want, though. :)

juliaz
Site Admin

Postby juliaz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:03 pm

I have what I suspect are oddly fond memories of working in corn fields, and had imagined a few hours doing that with my kids. But as you say, I have no idea what they would need or where we can best serve. That's one of the things we'll find out in the next month or two, I'm guessing. I know offering to do a service project was part of the discussion, and with 200 people (or more) to hand, we could accomplish something amazing and useful i 4 hours.

Annette Marcus

Postby Annette Marcus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 am

I am so excited about the reunion, the work that is clearly already underway. I have fond memories of Scattergood from the GPM and from a time in my teens when I attended various Quaker events there.

I like the idea of some kind of service project while we are there, and also wonder if there is a Quaker meeting associated with the school that might be interested in GPMers attending or participating in some project they already have underway.

danielchavez

Postby danielchavez » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm

I like the idea of a service project. Some suggestions:

1. Continue to work with Scattergood to discuss options which serve their site.

2. Are there community service projects available to assist in the general location of Scattergood?

3. Consider more than one project, provide a menu of options for GPM members to pick and choose.

> One anchor project on the grounds of Scattergood we can work on every day during our stay.
> Other projects could be 3 hour/several hour projects within the surrounding community and GPM members can pick and choose which they want to assist on.

Per the "standing rule, if you have a suggestion be prepared to participate", I have volunteered to help organize/purpose the service project(s). My current plans are to chat with Scattergood, others in Iowa and help develop a list of projects to consider and then conduct a survey of reunion members to gauge which project(s) have sufficient support. Will fly out to Iowa at least twice before the reunion and visit Scattergood and surrounding community.

If anyone wants to contact me , please feel free to email me at : chavez.daniel@gmail.com

danielchavez

Postby danielchavez » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Some research:

> Iowa City is only 15 miles away, which is where Iowa University is. Iowa City is considered a "College Town".

> Iowa University has 2016 summer school session during the time of our GPM Reunion. I will contact various academic departments to gauge any interest in coordinating with GPM Reunion. THOUGHTS ON WHAT CAN BE PROPOSED?

> There is an NPR radio station affiliate based out of Iowa University Campus. Maybe our media GPM members can set something up with them.

> Iowa City Yellow pages list 30 churches. Although our stay for the reunion does not include a Sunday, some churches may have community projects to consider.

CynthMcG

Postby CynthMcG » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:14 am

I would love to help out in the kitchen. I've gathered a bit more experience in baking, prep cooking, and maintaining safe cooking facilities. (I can wear my ServSafe badge if you like, since I lost my original name tags many years ago.)

CynthMcG

Postby CynthMcG » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:16 am

danielchavez wrote:Some research:

> Iowa City is only 15 miles away, which is where Iowa University is. Iowa City is considered a "College Town".

> Iowa University has 2016 summer school session during the time of our GPM Reunion. I will contact various academic departments to gauge any interest in coordinating with GPM Reunion. THOUGHTS ON WHAT CAN BE PROPOSED?

> There is an NPR radio station affiliate based out of Iowa University Campus. Maybe our media GPM members can set something up with them.

> Iowa City Yellow pages list 30 churches. Although our stay for the reunion does not include a Sunday, some churches may have community projects to consider.

I'm working on a doctoral degree in organizational leadership. Although my dissertation will have nothing to do with the GPM, I would love to help out with connecting with the appropriate department if you like.

Return to “Volunteers Needed”